Monday, April 8, 2013

The Jeep Creep 

If you are anything like me, you probably love Jeeps. Since high school I have learned to appreciate the genius and beauty of these simple monsters. Starting with a 93' YJ (4 cylinder of course), I have been obsessed with tweaking and customizing Jeeps with everything from 4wd.com to backyard projects involving supplies from Home Depot. Now, with a more modern 2009 JK, I have the funds and balls to literally chop my Jeep into the dream Wrangler from my childhood.

Firstly, I would like to start this blog off by explaining who I am. I was born and raised in Northern California, Sonoma County.I grew up like any normal kid, playing soccer, watching cartoons, and not paying attention in school. There was one thing, however, that made my childhood that much better, my dad had a Jeep. Yes sir, that old 1993 YJ gutless wonder, the car I had enjoyed being picked up in with my rottweiler occupying the entirety of the backseat. When I was lucky enough to drive that YJ to high school I honestly felt like it was part of my personal identity. We had it painted grey like an old navy ship, put on some decent all-terrains, and destroyed the suspension with a horrible body lift. The ride was awful, the engine could hardly move that brick past 60mph, and the carpet was covered in dog hair. Who cares, all my friends loved that Jeep, and I loved driving it. But at that time I never realized I was bouncing around on an empty canvas, that my Jeep had the potential to be as monstrous, bare-boned, and as unique as I pleased.

Not until I was in college was I lucky enough to acquire a new red 2-door JK. At first I treated it like a car, never off-roading except for the occasional curb climb. One day I reached enlightenment as my friend took me rock crawling in a beautiful yet hideous Toyota 4Runner.  Never had I experienced what it was like to teeter on 2 wheels while attempting to crawl over rocks I couldn't crawl over myself, and never had I wanted my Jeep to do the same. At that point the insanity ensued, I made about $300 painting a friends house, and I knew none of it would reach the bank and all of it would be invested into the Jeep. Cheap taillight covers, a K&N drop-in filter, a hilift jack, and other goodies were all mine. Once I had installed my new goodies, I knew I needed more. Thus, my fellow Jeep Creeps, I write to you today, three years into my addiction.

I wanted to create this blog to express my love for this American masterpiece, and to give you, the reader, a personal review of the products I have bought and a few cheap modifications that I have done personally. So, if you love Jeeps, are new to Jeeps, or already have your childhood dream sitting in your garage, please subscribe and feel free to comment at "The Jeep Creep". Next, I hope to get some pics of "Clifford", my big red Jeep, up on here with a list of everything I have done... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment